"The Son Shall Make You Free"
The people of Guernsey rightly remember the Liberation of the Island on May 9th every year. After five years of Occupation by the German forces,
the day after victory in Europe was complete, the surrender of Guernsey to the British was undertaken on HMS Bulldog. The Channel Islands were
the only part of the British Isles to be occupied during the war. After the initial shock of the invasion, in the knowledge that the Island was
not going to be defended by the British and the recognition that the Germans were not going to be dislodged easily, life would have settled down
to a semblance of normality, with a 'life goes on' outlook. But life was anything but normal. Worship here at La Villiaze had to cease and the Chapel
was commandeered by the Germans for a muntions store and the hall at the back was used as a canteen and drinking place of very doubtful repute.
Evidence of the use of the building by the Germans is still evident in the wall abutting the road where a large panel of the decorative stonework
has been rather badly replaced. The replacement was necessitated by the German removal of a portion of the wall to enable the ammunition lorries
to back up to the wall for the delilvery of the large shells, which were then transported into the Chapel by hoist and tackle and stacked vertically.
After the liberation of the Island there was some renovation to the building which was re-opened for worship in March 1946.
However the use of the Chapel by the Germans had lingering unseen affects which came to a point of crisis in 1972 when it became obvious that the
removal of the ceiling joists had eventually affected the stability of both roof and wall structure and the church had to move out once more and
also raise funds for the repair.